In a country as populated as ours, Philippines now has reached about hundred million population, it would still surprise us that one in every ten couples would struggle with infertility issues.
So with all the talks about family planning and birth control,we must not also forget the other side of the story wherein there are still loving couples who are responsible and have dreams of starting a family but are finding it hard to do so.
That is why infertility must also be talked about.
There's so much stigma that is surrounding this topic and there's so much embarrasment and mis-information which only means even more difficult for a family or even couples to address this concern.
Because in many cases, there's something that can be done about infertility. It can be addressed and the dreams of couples and even families could build their own family and be realized.
But of course the first step is understanding, so people must be reached by the message. That is why Merck Philippines continues its advocacy to raise fertility awareness among people Nationwide.
Merck Philippines, the local arm of the world's oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company, joined forces with IVF Davao, Inc. (In-Vitro Fertilization Davao) making it Mindanao's first IVF facility, for a public information project promoting awareness on infertility and it's medical solutions.
They have conducted a media forum at Marco Polo Hotel Davao. They've discussed the sciences of ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology), which is an umbrella term that refers to in-vitro fertilization (IVF) and its variants.
In-vitro fertilization is a procedure that involves removing eggs from the woman's ovaries and fertilizing them outside the body. Once the egg is fertilized with the sperm and turned into a good embryo they are gently pushed in to the uterus through catheter.
Infertility is defined as not being able to conceive a child after 12 months or more of unprotected intercourse. It is a significant life crisis faced by a lot of couples worldwide . It is not only with the physical problem but also mentally, socially, psychologically affecting the couples.
Causes of infertility among men are:
- Abnormal sperm production and delivery
- Lifestyle: smoking, alcohol, marijuana
- Environment: frequent heat exposure
- Medical Problems: Hypertension and Diabetes
Causes of Infertility among women are:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Premature ovarian failure
- Increasing age ( 35 years old and above)
- Excess body fat or too little body fat can affect ovulation
- IVF procedure is safe and not invasive.
- For packages it starts at P285,000.00 which is a good offer
- National sucess rate for IVF babies are 50%. This number is set to increase with the abundance of IVF Davao's specialty group, gov't, and corporate partners.
- Biggest challenges according to the testimonials of the couples are Patience and Financial Support, Time and Effort.
- Biggest Challenge for the medical team is Spreading the awareness of such helpful technology in giving life to dreams for Filipino couples to have a child and the maintenance of their facility in order to keep the embryos in good environment.
- IVF Davao have also catered same sex couples. Its very open to all gender and ages.
Dr, Ma, Lourdes Cabling, President of the IVF davao, said that " The process is easy, it's simple, the technology is available and most of all, we made it much more affordable for our fellow Filipino."
To know more about infertility and IVF in the Philippines, Merck Philippines will be holding a Patient's Forum to learn more about fertility and discover treatments that are available to us here in the Philippines on October 29, 2016, 8am at Ballroom B, Marco Polo Hotel Davao. Free admission and doctor's consultation.